Saturday, July 2, 2011

THE TORCH OF TRADITION

THE TORCH OF TRADITION

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.  Though it cost all you have, get understanding.  He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers.
Proverbs 4:7, 19:8 (NKJV


The torch of tradition can either burn you or light your way depending on what that tradition was founded upon.  A tradition can be anything from how basic tasks are done to the way we celebrate special days, or even the way we believe.  Some of these traditions even dictate how we solve issues in life or react to a crisis.  Normally traditions are passed down from one generation to the next.

Leaving and cleaving entitles us to form our own family unit.  Some traditions are great assets to your marriage.  Other traditions could be a possible determent, leading to constant conflict within your marriage.  It is worth your while to study your family traditions and determine which ones are worth implementing into your marriage and which ones need to be thrown out with the trash……………………………………
The fact is, I have a very serving, pleasing temperament.  Dan had a strong military background.  When we were first married, he was fulfilling a commitment to the Army National Guard, which eventually placed him as the commander of the 1073rd Army National Guard Unit.  There were times throughout our marriage where I needed to remind him I was not one of his soldiers, that I was indeed his wife and should not be ordered around.  My husband thinks I have overcome the weak area in my life of letting people take advantage of me and have no problem voicing my concerns now.  He says I am now like the woman in Dances With Wolves, Stands with a Fist.  I think I like that!  Personally, I think he likes it too.  Dan knows he took advantage of me in those early years, but he did not like others taking advantage of me either.

I must admit, Dan was not the only one who came with expectations into the marriage.  I also had some very unrealistic expectations of Dan, and still to this day I must remind myself that is exactly what they are, unrealistic.  My father and brother could fix anything.  They would be what you consider as millwrights, the jacks of all trades.  When it came to cars, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, cement, small engines, you name it, they could fix it.  Dan was taught none of these talents growing up and didn’t care to learn them after he became a man.  Now I must say he gave gallant efforts because I pushed him, but in the end it always cost us more money to fix the blunders, if they were fixable at all.  My husband has many qualities that are fabulous; however, being a jack of all trades is not one of them.  Being a carpenter’s daughter, I tried my hand at many home improvement projects as well, to my husband’s dismay, after he had begged me to hire those jobs done.

One prime example is the oak wood floor in the foyer of our house.  I was quoted over fifteen hundred dollars to have the floor refinished.  I thought that was ridiculous.  I could surely rent the equipment, sand, and finish it myself.  When Dan came home from work and saw the pile of sawdust lying on the ground outside, he knew we were in big trouble.  He was scared to walk in the house, and at that point I didn’t want him to see the disaster I had created either.  I am definitely a tightwad, and hiring people to get things done just goes against my nature (Lord, help me!).  I am so thankful we grew, matured, and were able to truly make our house a home, dying to ourselves and learning to put the other first.  We are now empty nesters who completely enjoy each other’s company as best friends as well as lovers.

When it comes to establishing traditions in your family, uniqueness is a fun ingredient.  Together you can develop memories that will last for a lifetime……………………………..
Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established.
Proverbs 24:3 (NKJV)

Excerpts for this blog were taken out of:  WE PROMISE 

To purchase your copy of WE PROMISE; click on the link below: 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment