Monday, September 26, 2011

"16" CANDLES

“16” CANDLES
Tuesday September 26th, 1978 @ 10:19 pm, our baby girl made her grand entrance into this world!  Of course, unlike today we did not know she was a girl.  Dan like most men had hoped for a son and I wished that for him also, but once we set our eyes on Leah true love forever set in. 
Today when I woke up my heart seemed to be flooded with emotion.  The song, which was playing in my head, was “16 CANDLES.”  What is it about turning “16” that seems to be such a benchmark in life?  There is still a sweet innocence but a coming of age as one would say.  Your child is now old enough to drive a car, work and possibly date.  I can still remember Leah’s 16th birthday party.  Leah’s sisters were “14” and “12” and I adored those ages leading up to “16.”  Our girls were so much fun, full of life and very family orientated.
I have noticed now with each special day we celebrate in regards to our daughters I become very weepy!  The reality that they are grown women resonates within my heart making it burst into the empty nest achy heart syndrome!  I will not see Leah today although I called and wished her a happy birthday, the business of life with her own family dictated that away, as it should take precedence over Dan and I.  Parents really do want their children to leave and cleave, those children must form their own families.  After all, we prepare our children while we raise them to one-day venture off and make a life of their own.
Sometimes I wish I could gather all my daughters back up and keep them under our roof where I could protect and shield them from all the harms and hurts of this world.  But then, who would take care of us as we grow old?  This same daughter that I am writing about says she has a plan in place for her Dad and me when we get old and it isn’t bringing us under her roof!  Can you imagine that!
I am reflecting upon my children and it makes me wonder what the Lord thinks about us as we pass from infants to mature believers.  I do know this…just as we want our children to grow and mature so they can handle this thing called life; the Lord also wants us as Christians to grow and mature and not stay infants.
(Heb 5:11-6:6 NIV)  We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.  In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again.  You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.  But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.  Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.  And God permitting, we will do so.  It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
(Heb 10:19-25 NIV)  Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.  Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.



BELIEVERS, IT IS TIME TO COME OF AGE ~ THE LORD WANTS US TO GRADUATE!!


(Psa 61:4 NIV)  I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Selah



No comments:

Post a Comment